It is 2009! Wow, what a year 2008 was. It started out pretty slow, but the year in review looks pretty spectacular from going to San Franciso, to starting a new job, to completing my first novel. I had a blast in 2008 and am looking forward to a lot of fun in 2009.
I don’t know about others but I love making New Year’s Resolutions. To me its a bit of a challenge to see what I can accomplish in the year to come. Sure, I will make many goals that will be unrealized, but for me it is still fun to say these are the things I want to succeed in, in the coming year. So as a challenge to myself, I am going to post them here on the Emerald Tablet and then in 2010 (that year name sound so imposing) reflect on all the things I did accomplish and all those that slipped through the track.
I am going to make 20 New Year’s Resolutions, some being rather esoteric or nebulous. Many will be easily attainable, requiring nothing more than to buy or spend money on it (spending money for me is a bit of a challenge to say the least). Other goals will require great effort, while still others will rely on incredible luck (something beyond my control).
Here are my 2009 New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Write and complete my second novel (presumably it will be a sequel to Amish Johnson and the Pegasus Chamber aptly named Amish Johnson and the Leprechaun’s Legacy).
2. Find myself an agent or publisher for my two books.
3. Write and finsih 4 short stories.
4. Read 12 books (strangely enough i never have time to read books any longer — to be a good writer you need to read other author).
5. Play only 6 months of a MMO (too much of my time is spent in MMOs with nothing to show in the end).
6. Record and produce 12 podcasts — I really miss my friends at Virginworolds and need to concentrate on getting back in the business.
7. Go back to school (I have only a lowly Associates degree and would love to persue a degree in English).
8. Excel in my job (learn the ERP software Vantage and get a better handle on all facets of my job).
9. Finish two house repairs (not as glamorous as others but the old home needs a bit of fixing up and it really needs to be done).
10. Start a walking regiment (not much into physical excercise, I need to get a wee bit more active and walking seems easily enough done — I have a nice walking trail right by my house).
11. Payoff some credit debt (going against repairing the home, I would sure love to reduce the credit card debt down. Not as great as some people have it, it is still a dark and ominous cloud over my head). My goal is to reduce it by 2 thousand dollars.
12. Play different kinds of computer games (I always tend to play the same game over and over — strangely, this is another goal that will be a challenge.) 4 new and different games is the challenge.
13. Expand beyond just computer game fun (yea, another earth shattering endeavor but needless to say I do all my gaming on the PC. Perhaps I should buy a Wii or a Nintendo DS or something). buy 1 other game device.
14. Be more outgoing (I am a introverted and shy. My goal is to do things more outside of the home with friends, relatives, and different people). My goal is to do something out of the normal 12 times in this coming year!
15. Explore the esoteric more (I am so fascinated by mysticism, the unkown, things that go bump in the night but always end up sitting in front of the computer wasting my time). My goal is to read 4 books on the esoteric and pursue my long time goal of self realization.
16. Persue Health (a rather nebulous and lofty goal but I need to start really being more conscious of staying healthy. I need to go to the doctor for a full check up, I need to excercise more, I need to eat less fatty and sugary foods, I need to be aggressive in staying healthy).
17. Meet 6 new friends (another lofty goal but I want to meet new friends. A friend I consider someone who I talk with regularly and can confide in them with serious or personal issues — the internet is a great venue to meet people but it can’t stop there. I need to be more outgoing and reach out to new people).
18. Return to my roots of Role-Playing (start up a group of weekly role-players again at least 2 times a month. Get back to writing my rules again — perhaps a fifth edition of Phantasm Adventures. Start up a web page to sell my rules and push my presence back into the world of RPGs).
19. Be More Adventuresome!! (God I get so tired of doing the same things all the time — my goal is try new foods, go to new places, explore areas I have never been, go on more trips, read new things, watch and go to places I have never been — talk to different people with different ideas with different agendas).
20. Make A Difference! Isnt that what it is all about? This coming year I want to make a difference to the world, to my country, my state, my city, my family. . . and me! A very nebulous goal and no way to pin point but I just want to make sure that I do things that others can feel proud about or makes them want to pass on fortune to others.
I must mention that these goals are in no particular order. I would very much like to hear from anyone out there on their thoughts, aspirations, or goals for 2009 as well. I hope each and every one of you has a glorious year, and I look forward 12 months from now looking back and seeing what I accomplished and what I need to push into 2010!